Friday, January 16, 2015

Preschool Goals

What does my toddler need to know/do?

I had better know what Boy Hoot needs to know before I start teaching, right?  I wanted to keep it simple, but measurable so that I could track progress.  Sure, "be nice" sounds like it should be a good thing to work toward but how do I measure an improvement in "nice"?  It's not impossible, but I needed to narrow that down more so that I know what social skills we need to improve - is it sharing that is the difficulty?  Or taking turns?  Or is he only unkind if sleepy or hungry?  

I can't tell you what your child needs to learn without knowing your child.  Maybe your kiddo is great at sharing and talking to others, but never ever picks up after himself.  These are the points that were important for us:

Spring 2015 Goals
  1. Recognize capital letters A-J.
  2. Count to 20.
  3. Number recognition to 20.
  4. Recognize written name - Uppercase with lowercase.
  5. Answer questions - “What’s your name?” and “How old are you?”
  6. Increase fine motor skills - scissors, pencil grip.
  7. Identify colors - ROYGBP + Black, White, Gray.
  8. Identify shapes - circle, triangle, square, rectangle.
  9. Draw lines - curved and straight.
  10. Participate in sit down arts and crafts.
  11. Brush teeth correctly.
  12. Clean up after meals and snacks.
  13. Pick up own toys.
  14. Memorize Bible verses - 1 per two week period.

I try to give myself both the goal and what I need to track and measure progress. I take into account what he already knows and what we need to work on. For us, social and practical skills are more important because academic skills come to him more naturally so they take less work and practice. These are also skills that develop best through play so that fact is reflected in our daily routines and activities.

What are your goals for your toddler/preschooler? Why?

Feeling stuck? Leave me a comment or send me a message. I'm happy to help.


No comments:

Post a Comment