Monday, April 25, 2016

Dollar Shave Club Review

Years ago, I stopped paying "pink tax" and couponers were raging about how there are always coupons to get free (or nearly free) razors. And let me tell you...there's a reason those razors are free. My choices seemed to be "high priced, decent quality" or "low priced, low quality" razors. Neither option was really appealing, so I streeeeeetched my razor blades as long as I could and streeeeeetched out how long I went between shaves too. BUT...that's not comfortable on so many levels. AND...I live in Texas now, where the shaving season is much, much longer than when we lived in Iowa. SO...it was time to figure out something better.

I started to give Dollar Shave Club a shot when they first came out but didn't. I didn't really believe the razors would be any better. Then a couple months ago my dear husband had to start shaving daily again and signed himself up. He chose their cheapest level, the Humble Twin, because he has always preferred the two blade razors. He gave it a good review, along with the shave butter. I looked at his razor (that blue handle in the picture below). I was skeptical. It sure didn't look like it could navigate ankles and knees and pits...

So I did what I always do...I googled for reviews. Reviews from women. There weren't many and among the few I found many were just an unboxing. I don't care about what comes in the box, how fun the little paper pamphlet is, or how clever the marketing slogans are - how does it work? Does it shave well? Which razor did you choose? And how does the razor hold up? Is it really necessary to change it every. single. week. like DSC recommends? But I did find a few reviews that were positive so I decided to give DSC a shot, then add my experience should any other women want to try it too.

http://shaved.by/dL3XP

  • Which razor? I chose the 4X. It seemed to be what was recommended "for your lover" (seriously DSC?) and what other women had selected. It was also the most comparable to my preferred razors of the past. I do like it better than my husband's Humble Twin. The handle has more weight to it and it flexes better.
  • Does it shave well? Yes. And about a million times better than the cheapo razors (which had a similar cost even with a coupon). No multiple swipes or nicks or clogged razor.
  • How does it hold up? I have used the same blade every 2-3 days for almost 2 weeks and it's probably time to change out. I could probably change it sooner or keep pushing it for another week without major discomfort. I figure that after a few every other month deliveries I will be stocked up for awhile and can discontinue my plan for awhile.
  • What about that shave butter? I really, really did not want to like it. It's pricey when you're talking about using enough to shave your legs. Personally though I can't use shaving cream - not the cheap stuff, not the "pink tax" stuff, none of it - it gives me a rash every time. So I tried the butter on one leg and compared it to conditioner on the other leg. The butter worked better, period. Easier glide, less clogging, fewer left behind hairs, it did its job well and didn't give me a rash. The fact that I like the shave butter (but not its cost) is making me looking also at Harry's since their prices are comparable once you add in the shave butter but their razors are (supposedly) better quality than DSC. You can expect a Harry's review post in the future.
Anything else you want to know? Comment and ask me.
*Full Disclosure: I have not been compensated in any way for my post, however I do include a referral link in this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment